A Conversation for Arachnids

Slight quibbles

Post 1

Orcus

Sirius is in the Constellation Canis Major (large Dog) hence it's name as the Dog Star.
Where the idea that it is in Scorpio came from I've no idea. Canis Major is right next to Orion which dominates the Winter sky in the Northern Hemisphere, Scorpio Dominates the Summer sky and so is pretty much at the other side of the sky entirely to Sirius.
I should know, I'm a Scorpio smiley - smiley

Also, slightly more pedantically, Invertebrate and vertebrate mean without and with a SPINE, not a backbone. There is a difference. Sharks, for example possess a spine but also have not a bone in their body, their endoskeleton is made of cartilege I believe.

Anyway, aside from those little points, a fine article, I'd not heard of some of these species before so it made for an interesting read.


Slight quibbles

Post 2

JD

Indeed - the star in Scorpio associated with Isis is in fact Antares, the bright red one at the heart of the constellation. smiley - smiley

A small quibble compared to the balance of extremely (IMO) interesting info on arachnids throughout the article. smiley - cheers

- JD


Slight quibbles

Post 3

Orcus

>>A small quibble compared to the balance of extremely (IMO) interesting info on arachnids throughout the article. <<

Agreed smiley - ok

Incidentally, why is it associated with Antares?


Slight quibbles

Post 4

JD

I had to ask someone about that, to be honest - I originally had commented about the confusion to a dear special someone, who happens to study ancient religion and mythology (and even astrology, much to my chagrin - but I digress). She was unavailable for me to reply any earlier than just now, and ... well, in a nutshell, apparently the scorpion goddess Selket that was worshipped by the Egyptians is actually one of many manifestations of Isis. Thus, the heart of the scorpion constellation (Antares) has special association with Selket/Isis.

I was promptly chided for not remembering this from watching The Mummy movies with her, particularly the second one, during which she apparently pointed out such things to me at length during said film. I wisely decided that rebutting with a claim that I'd not heard her due to being distracted by the special effects, riveting plot, swashbuckling action, and in particular the *ahem* ladies combatting each other with barely anything on would be very hazardous to my health. smiley - evilgrin That, and whenever "pro wrestlers" are involved in action movies, I tend to drift off rather quickly.

- JD


Slight quibbles

Post 5

JD

I have just been further admonished and prompted to correct myself - it seems that Selket was thought of by some Egyptian researchers as believed to be a manifestation of Isis (and it may have been by some), but most evidence would seem to indicate that Isis was largely worshipped as a separate deity that was nevertheless protected by Selket and her scorpions (interestingly, she is often depicted as carrying many scorpions on her back, just like a mother scorpion as I learned from this article!).

I don't know about you, but that's more than I ever hoped to know about Egyptian mythology about scorpions. OUCH! I shouldn't type with her over my shoulder.

- JD


Slight quibbles

Post 6

Orcus

Thanks smiley - smiley

Ah Yes, the Mummy Returns, I had a Fawlty Towers moment with my sister and her husband over that.

Me: "What the Mummy Returns? PAINFUL, crap crap crap crap crap"

Her: "Well we both like it"

.... smiley - yikes

smiley - shrug


Slight quibbles

Post 7

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Ah, than ye for pointing out my errors...This is also considerably less Egyptian mythology than I wish to know, is that friend by any chance on h2g2?

PS Mummy Returns was crap. The original wasn't so great either.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more