Mr John Saunders and the Recurrence of History (UG)

0 Conversations

Official UnderGuide Entry

The child gripping the ragged teddy bear sniffed quietly and wiped her eyes fiercely with one pyjama sleeve. Bewildered, she tried to whisper to her companion an explanation of what was happening in the room. But words, not as yet her strong suit, would not co-operate – and anyway, some deep-rooted instinct for self-preservation helped her to understand the need to avoid drawing attention to their presence behind the slightly open door. It was the first time she had seen an adult's blood. Though the teddy bear, elderly Mr John Saunders, had witnessed similar sights before. Long, long ago. And so he needed no explanation.

The bear had belonged to the child's mother. To her mother before that. He had been delicately sewn and re-sewn every time a rip had appeared in his furry brown coat. Was now reduced to only one functioning eye. Had been bandaged and smeared with medicinal cream so often that now there were matted areas of his coat that would never be fluffy again. Knew every variation of the phrase "I'm sorry". He was a part of the family all right. He knew the score.

The noises coming from the room grew louder. Words mingled with the sound of weeping. Perhaps something was knocked over. A woman's voice was saying "Please, No". Her daughter did not know the other words. She watched from behind the door in uneasy wonderment. But Mr John Saunders knew how it would all end.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A26303285

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more