A Guide to Finnish Pronunciation

2 Conversations

Finland: A land of extremes, at one of the extremes of Europe.
True to form, many people have found the Finnish language extremely difficult to learn.

Finnish pronunciation, however, is a doddle and can be mastered with almost no knowledge of the language whatsoever.

So whether you're up there on a sailing trip, taking in the scenery or visiting that gorgeous au-pair you met last summer, this guide to pronouncing the personal and place names of Finland is for you.

The phonetic system

Every letter in Finnish is pronounced (there are no silent letters), and every letter represents only one sound.

Note that this is a far cry from languages such as English or French, where 'e's can be silent, 'i's can be pronounced as in 'hit', 'hat' or 'height', and that notorious English sound combination 'ough' has no less than seven different pronunciations.

Let's start with the vowels, since Finnish has such a proliferation of them.
(For the sake of some sort of standard, all examples of English words are based on British Received Pronunciation)

LetterPronunciation
aThe vowel sound in 'cup', the 'a' of for example French or German
eThe flat 'e' sound in the word 'head'
iAs in 'hit'
oThe flat 'o' sound of 'hot' (not the 'ah' sound sometimes used here)
uAs in 'book', a short 'ooh' sound.
yBasically a compressed version of 'u' above.
Have a few tries at saying the 'u' while smiling. Once you've got the hang of this you will be able to do it without the curious facial expression.
äThe flat 'a' sound in 'hat'
öAs in 'bird'
åPronounced as in 'raw'.
This is actually a Swedish letter, but it features in the Finnish alphabet (called Ruotsalainen O, 'Swedish O') because of its appearance in place names and some surnames.

The 'a', 'o' and 'u' are called 'back vowels', while 'ä', 'ö', and 'y' are their 'front vowel' (compressed) equivalents. Finnish never combines these sounds in the same word (except in compounds), because they are formed in different parts of the mouth.
This makes correct pronunciation of vowels come very naturally after just a little practice.
The 'e' and 'i' are neutral and can go anywhere.
This wonderful system is known as Vowel harmony

There, since you got the hang of that so easily, let's move on to the consonants.

Spoken finnish lacks some of the voiced consonants of the Roman alphabet, but most Finns can still tell their 'b's from their 'p's, if only so as not to pronounce the Finnish for 'bus' ('bussi') as the word for 'bag' ('pussi').

LetterPronunciation
b, d, f, k, l, m, n, p, t, vAs in English, though 'b' and 'f' are very rare, featuring often (especially in older loan words) as 'p' or 'hv'.
gAlways the hard g as in 'give'
hAlways pronounced. This may require some aspiration in seemingly odd places, but it isn't that difficult.
jThe y sound of 'yellow'
rRolled
sAlways as
in 'sit', never the 'z' sound found at the end of some English words.
wSimply an old-fashioned version of 'v', and pronounced as such.
The Finnish word vanha (old) is sometimes rendered wanha, much as 'old' may be rendered 'olde' in Britain or the US.
­xAlways 'ks', never 'gz'. However, you will rarely see this letter as it is usually written 'ks' (Taxi = Taksi)
zAlways 'ts' as in 'pizza'.
Finland's major chocolate manufacturer, Fazer, is pronounced much more like "Fat-Sir" than "Phaser"

Diphthongs / Vowel Combinations

The real secret to pronouncing 'sauna'...
As mentioned above, Finns say things as they see them. Vowels may appear in any combination (with respect to the rules of vowel harmony mentioned above), but combinations are simply to be pronounced as the sum of their parts. Some of the more noteworthy examples are explained below.

LettersPronunciation
aiAs in 'eye', never as in 'hay'
auAs in 'how'. Sauna sounds like 'how-na'
eiThe Finnish for 'no', pronounced as in 'hey'.
euSay the 'e' as explained above. Then say the 'u'. Now put them together.
You should have a sound that sounds like 'eh-oo'.
Practice this, as it appears in the word for Finland's currency, the Euro.
ouAs in 'hole'
äiLike 'ai', but more compressed. Remember that ä is the flat 'a' sound. (Think of Ali G's "ay" if it helps!)
yi and yöTough ones.
The former appears in the word hyi! (='Yuk!') and sounds a bit like 'huy-ee'
The latter is the Finnish for 'night', and sounds a bit like 'uy-uh'

Stress / emphasis

This is the easiest part of Finnish. You just have to remember it.

Whereas English has words like 'record', meaning an audio recording, and 'record', the verb for saving sound onto a certain format, with no indication in written language as to which was meant, Finnish has no such confusions.


Finnish stress always goes on the first syllable. There is no exception to this. There is normally a secondary stress on the third syllable.


The old joke is therefore: "Helsinki, emphasis on Hell"

Double letters

This can throw people off in the beginning, but it too is very simple.

Again, the basic principle is that every letter is pronounced, so if a letter appears twice then it means that it's pronounced twice.


Let's take the Finnish word for 'tooth': hammas'

There is a kind of pause on double consonants, much as in Swedish, Spanish or Italian, so hammas sounds like "Ham mass".


Double vowels are simply longer versions of the vowel. So whereas the name Kari has the same rythm as the word 'sorry', the word Saari ('island') has the rythm of 'far-ie'.


Compare the following examples:
Tuli (fire) : "To + Lee"
Tuuli (wind): "Tool + E"
Tulli (customs / toll gate): "Short Tool + Lee"

Place names

Great. You've been a good student.

Now let's practise with some of the more significant place names in and around Finland:

PlaceDescriptionPronunciation
Suomi'Finland' in FinnishSue-oh-me
HelsinkiThe capital of FinlandHell-sin-key
VantaaThe site of Helsinki's airportVan-ta!
EspooHelsinki's commuter "suburb"Ess-paw
TampereFinland's ex-industrial heartlandTam-pé-ré. (or officially Tam-Pear to all you budget airline flight attendants)
TurkuThe oldest city in Finland, formerly the capitalShort 'Tour' sound, followed by 'Koo'
OuluA very northern town, famous for tarRhymes with 'Hole-do'
VaasaOstrobothnia's biggest town, named after a Swedish kingLong 'Vah', short 'sa'. Remember that the 's's are soft.
RovaniemiA very, very northern town, well known to Santa-spottersRoh-va-knee-é-me. Secondary stress on the 'knee'.
ItämeriThe Baltic Sea, from Finland to DenmarkIt-am-very without the 'v'
PohjanlahtiThe Gulf of Bothnia, between Finland and SwedenPoc-yan-lactie, but with aspirations instead of the 'c's
SuomenlahtiThe Gulf of Finland, between Finland and EstoniaSue-o-men-lactie, but with an aspiration instead of the 'c'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2604809

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more