Mathematical Glossary (Work in Progress)

0 Conversations


This glossary is indexed and linked, rather like a normal Web page. It comprises a list of letters, each linking to a list of words. Each word in the list links to a definition, and each definition links back to the list of words. The definitions may contain links to other words in this glossary.

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z


Other Guide entries may link directly to the definition of a word in the glossary. The format of such a link is

    
<LINK H2G2="A2594991#xxx-word">nnn</LINK>

where xxx denotes the word exactly as defined here, and nnn denotes the text for the link. For example, in the sentence
    
The zeroes of a quadratic may be determined by the use of a formula.

the word 'zeroes' is not an entry in the glossary, but 'zero' is defined. Thus the GuideML required would be
    
The <LINK H2G2="A2594991#zero-word">zeroes</LINK> of a quadratic may be determined by the use of a formula.

producing the sentence
    
The zeroes of a quadratic may be determined by the use of a formula.

with a link to the definition of 'zero'.

A

accumulate

B

binary

C

corollary

D

d-word

E

e-word

F

field

G

g-word

H

h-word

I

i-word

J

j-word

K

k-word

L

lemma

M

mean

median

mode

N

n-word

O

o-word

P

p-word

Q

q-word

R

radix,
remainder

S

s-word

T

theorem

U

u-word

V

v-word

W

w-word

X

x-word

Y

y-word

Z

zero

accumulate
U241325
perform addition. Often associated with multiplication, either in the sense of the repeated additions necessary to form a product, or in the sense of the additions needed to form a sum of products.

binary
U241325
usually an adjective, when binary means related to the number two. In computer contexts, sometimes used as a noun, to denote a program in a machine-readable, executable form.

corollary
U152404
A corollary is a theorem which is implied by another.

d-word
U241325
d-word is ...

e-word
U241325
e-word is ...

field
U241325
field

g-word
U241325
g-word is ...

h-word
U241325
h-word is ...

i-word
U241325
i-word is ...

j-word
U241325
j-word is ...

k-word
U241325
k-word is ...

lemma
U152404
A mathematically proven statement, usually presented with a proof, which is used as a component in the proof of a theorem. Although not usually of great importance in itself, a lemma may be an essential part of a theorem. It is often said (not entirely in jest) that the lemmas are the hard parts of a theorem!

mean
U234603
In statistics, a type of average that can be calculated by adding up all of the elements in the data and dividing by the number of elements. For example, in the data series 2, 16, 42, the mean is (2+16+42)/3 which is 20.
median
U234603
In statistics, a type of average that can be calculated by arranging all of the elements in a set of data in ascending order, and then locating the number in the middle of the series. If the number of elements in the data is even, then the median is the number between the two middle values.
mode
U234603
In statistics, a type of average that can be defined simply as the most frequently occurring value in a set of data. Note that the adjectival form of the word is 'modal', so for example it can be said that the 'modal value' of the data 2, 4, 6, 6, 8, 8, 8, 8, 42 is '8'.

n-word
U241325
n-word is ...

o-word
U241325
o-word is ...

p-word
U241325
p-word is ...

q-word
U241325
q-word is ...

radix
U241325
radix

remainder
U241325
remainder

s-word
U241325
s-word is ...

theorem
U152404
A mathematically proven statement, usually presented with a proof (or a reference to a proof). Sub-theorems which may appear in a proof are usually referred to as lemmas, and further results which follow directly from a theorem are usually referred to as corollaries. The term theorem is therefore usually applied to important statements only.

u-word
U241325
u-word is ...

v-word
U241325
v-word is ...

w-word
U241325
w-word is ...

x-word
U241325
x-word is ...

y-word
U241325
y-word is ...

zero
U241325
the noun zero denotes either a specific number, or a property of a function. In computer contexts, sometimes used as a verb, meaning to make equal to the number zero.
number zerothe unique value, denoted by 0, which acts as an identity element in an addition operation, that is x+0 = 0+x = x.
zeroes of a functionthe zeroes of a function are those values of the indepent variable(s) which cause the value of that function to become zero. A function may have no zeroes (for example ex is non-zero for any finite value of x, real or complex), one or more zeroes (for example x2–3x+2 is zero if x=1 or if x=2), or an infinity of zeroes (for example sin x has the value zero when x=nπ for any integer n).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2594991

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more