A Conversation for Hard Drives

installing hard drives

Post 1

Gareth McKittrick

I have a hard drive I need to put into a pretty old PC, anyone got any ideas on how. Will I need to muck about with BIOS etc?
I would appreciate some advice from some of you guys, hope to hear soon
All the best
Gareth


installing hard drives

Post 2

gainax2k1

mmm, depends on how old the computer is. if it's a 486 or faster, any new/new-ish hard drive should install fairly well. You might need to upgrade the bios if you're installing a hard drive more then a couple of gigs in size, or if you're going to install windows on it and format in fat32 (you'll prob. want to stick w/ fat16 if it's an older computer).

If the computer is older than a 486, eeek, best wishes. Before then, there was a different interface standard than IDE, so you'd have to dig around for an old hard drive that supports the interface used then (which name i cannot fathom to remember).

as far as tips go: be careful about static electricity, and make sure the computer is turned off when you're installing it. however, leave the power cable plugged in, as this will help to ground the computer from static discharge.

Best of luck!


installing hard drives

Post 3

Gareth McKittrick

Thanks very much mate, that sorted it. All the best
Gareth


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more