A Conversation for Theatre Lighting Technicians

How it is

Post 1

Puregenius

I started doing lighting at my school when I started, 6 years ago. A new Drama teacher had started who could actually use the equipment. There was so much cleaning to be done. Over the years we have found many relics including writing on the ceiling from before I was born. There is also the odd piece of set which has references to the Bay City Rollers.

The equipment is deadly. The school had a group of electricians in a couple of months ago, we were convinced that the rig would be condemned. I think they must have been kept clear of the hall, or feared for their life so much that they did not inspect the equipment, because nothing was heard from them.

I wish we had some form of harness or rope when doing the rigging. Instead we use a 30 foot metal ladder, weighing half a ton I'm sure. I didn't use to feel nervous when I was up the ladder smiley - erm. This has however changed over time as I become wiser! But what can I say, it wouldn't be fun if there was no risk. smiley - smiley


How it is

Post 2

Researcher 196517

That is the same way I started out, about 6 Years ago I was introduced into the World of Theatre as a Lighting Techie, My secondary school was deadly, The lights were worse! to my Knowledge they have never been tested since they were bought by the school, (about...1960!)
Rigging was worse, we had This Aluminium ladder, about 40ft to the to of it, carrying heavy things up it was scary smiley - skull the middle of it bending.

Electric Shocks were common in our Hall, Lighting, sound, anything that could probably would, smiley - yikes.
The funniest thing I remember was during an assembly, the stage used to have seating on it, during the assembly, the Trapdoor opened and some little fella dissapeared into it.
It would have been nice if there wasn't the BIG risk!


How it is

Post 3

Drewpy

If your going 30ft up, you really should invest in a Tallescope. Makes life a huge amount easier when rigging, as you can move it, with out getting down, although, don't tell my TD that :D.

I work in a few different theatres, sound, light and pyro techie. Hertfordshire area. I've only been doing it for about 6 years as well, I'm currently in upper 6th. My school has two theatres, and I work in other local places. Which reminds me, I need to replace some house bulbs.


How it is

Post 4

lostlightman

LAMPS!!!!! not bulbs!!!!

bulbs grow in the ground, lamps go in lights

people have been thrown of shows for less!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more