A Conversation for Hunter S Thompson

Gonzo journalism

Post 1

Mustapha

I would have thought this style of journalism was a byproduct of Ernest Hemmingway, but there you go.

It still seems to be a very American style of news-reporting, especially on TV news. The use of emotive language, and the content is more prosaic, the reporter seems to be telling a story, rather than just reporting the facts.


Gonzo journalism

Post 2

BluesDog

Actually, if you read Thompson's own description of Gonzo journalism, it is more closely related to stream of conciousness writing than anything else. He often used what is now a primitive portable tape recorder and recorded his thoughts, insights and observations and later transcribed them with little or no editing. This is what makes a lot of his articles so funny.
The other thing the original posting missed was a complete bibliography of his works. Personally I think one of the best paperbacks anyone could pick up is The Great Shark Hunt, which is a wide ranging collection of his articles and also includes chapters from Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, F&L in Las Vegas etc. Don't miss the actual article The Great Shark Hunt , it 's Thompson at his finest.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more