A Conversation for The Floating Bridge, Southampton, UK

The Floating Bridge

Post 1

Erica Oiley

Really enjoyed your entry as I was once a "Sotonian". I left for Canada before the toll bridge and still find it strange when I'm back visiting and the floating Bridge is not there. Still if you like those little ferries they pop up in the oddest places over here, although usually not tethered. The one in Prince Edward county, Ontario, on the road between Picton and Kingston, Ontario was the last one I was on. (One advantage over the old floating bridge is there's an ice cream shop right there for while you're waiting.) There are lots more around so if you're coming to this side of the pond I'll be happy to try and direct you to one!


The Floating Bridge

Post 2

Bluebottle

I just know of the Cowes and Pool ones.


The Floating Bridge

Post 3

Gwennie

I used to live in Hampshire and know Southampton well. I think if I had to live there, I'd consider using this bridge to top (and tail) myself!!!


The Floating Bridge

Post 4

Ginger The Feisty

I think I'd be the same if I ever had to move back there. Now I am getting married my family have stopped sending me every job advert they see for accountants in Southampton! smiley - smiley


The Floating Bridge

Post 5

Ginger The Feisty

Funnily enough we may well be heading in that direction in September - I believe we are looking at renting a cabin on the Bruce Penninsula.


The Floating Bridge

Post 6

Bluebottle

What's wrong with Southampton? It's where I'm living at the moment...


The Floating Bridge

Post 7

Ginger The Feisty

Nothing per se. I just have that general loathing you have for a place when you lived there for 21 years at a time where there was nothing to do. I know it is no better or worse than any other place. I just left it behind because it wasn't the place for me! No insults intended, Bluebottle.

And I completely agree with you about the oak trees!


The Floating Bridge

Post 8

Bluebottle

Thanks... I've got the feeling in a few places - esp. Leeds. Didn't like Leeds, and I was only there for 2 weeks...


The Floating Bridge

Post 9

Erica Oiley

Have fun if you come to Ontario, and feel free to ask for advice - dont promise I'll be able to help, but anyone from Southampton has something in common. The Common now there's a subject for the guide.


The Floating Bridge

Post 10

Ginger The Feisty

What are your memories of the common? I only really went there for the fairs on bank holidays and when we did the Solent Lions Sponsored Walk each year. For all that I remember it as quite a creepy place.


The Floating Bridge

Post 11

Bluebottle

The common is just far to big in a weird way. I've never actually explored fully there - it's the wrong side of Southampton. I intend to, in the summer.


The Floating Bridge

Post 12

Erica Oiley

My memories of the Common,include cycling across it to get to school. Playing "Pooh sticks" in the streams on school lunch hours,skimming stones across the ice on the Cemetary Pond. And, my least favourite memory, Cross country running when it was too wet to play rugby or (field) hockey. Excuse the qualifier on hockey, but around here that means ICE!


The Floating Bridge

Post 13

Holisticstoner

I remember the floating bridge well, one of my Dad's friends worked on them while they were running. I even got to operate one across the river as a treat one year as a child. Was only a case of pushing a button, but a real big deal to me at the time.Also there was the IOW hovercraft terminal just next to the floating bridges, and the old barge pool was the other side of them(this was on the town side). I notice the common mentioned, I have many fond memoris of this place, explored most of it over the years. Remember the little zoo that was there, now turned into a small nature reserve.


The Floating Bridge

Post 14

Ginger The Feisty

When did you live there Hollistic stoner? I was there until 1988 but as my family are all still there i go back quite regularly.


The Floating Bridge

Post 15

Holisticstoner

I lived in and around Southampton all my life up until the end of last year when I moved to Kidderminster. I grew up in the Woolston area, Ludlow road. I went to School at Ludlow infants and Middle school then spent a month at Woolston secondary school. I,m now 37 so it was a few years LOL.


The Floating Bridge

Post 16

Ginger The Feisty

Well we are the same age - must be why we have the same memories. I lived in Netley Abbey and went to Hamble school. My sister lived in Woolston though.


The Floating Bridge

Post 17

Holisticstoner

Cool, here is an old school photo from my last year at Ludlow middle school.http://www.moonworld.co.uk/holistic/pictures/photo/slides/SCHOOL2.html


The Floating Bridge

Post 18

Ginger The Feisty

Scary picture smiley - smiley I have a few like that from the 80's but don't put them on the net because they can be too embarrassing. My husband finds the hair and clothes I sported then very amusing.


The Floating Bridge

Post 19

Holisticstoner

Notice I did not point out which one is me smiley - biggrin


The Floating Bridge

Post 20

Saints 76

King Harry ferry in Cornwall was a similar operation, and I saw something like the floating Bridge on TV at Plymouth (?).Most of these type of 'bridge' are being replaced by bridges.


Key: Complain about this post