Algebraic Chess Notation

4 Conversations


In the strategy game chess, people often record there moves to go back over games after they are done, and attempt to learn from there mistakes. While not the only kind, Algebraic Chess Notation is one of the most popular versions in the world. This is how chess notation works:



K=King

Q=Queen

R=Rook (AKA Castle for some people)

B=Bishop

N=Knight

There is no symbol for the pawn, except in unofficial tournaments, games, etc.


When facing the board on white's side, the files going up and down are lettered "a" through "h". The ranks going up and down are numbered 1 through 8. Therefore, every square has a letter and number. On white's side, the lowermost letter on the right side is "a8".

When moving a piece or pawn, you say the piece's symbol, and the square it moves to. For example, Qh4 would be the Queen moving to file "h" square 4.

When capturing, put the symbol of the piece you move, the letter "x", the symbol of the piece that was captured, and the final destination of the piece that did the capturing. For example= QxBa3.

There are several other special moves that hove unique symbols. Here are some examples:

0-0 Castle Kingside

0-0-0 Castle Queenside

e.p. En Passent


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A246070

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more