A Conversation for Wagon Wheel Effect

Nostalgiac conversations

Post 1

DickieP

The "remember spangles/flying saucers/Texas bars/pacers/space dust" conversations I've had have almost always ended in slanging matches about the names of the Captain Pugwash crew (not that I want to start that argument here). I think that this is a related phenomenon.
Although, I'm willing to concede it may just be the people I hang about with...


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 2

Munchkin

Nostalgia is not what it used to be I tell you!

Hmm yes smiley - smiley
Anyway, the most worrying nostalgia thing I have seen of late was the "New students were born after 1980" one. Which then goes on to point out what they never saw, as they were too young. It makes me feel far too old, which I most certainly am not.
Mind, meeting students who feel old when their 20th birthday roles round gives me the willies as well.


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 3

DickieP

I have a friend who has never seen Bod. It worries me intensely. How can I relate fully to her when she thinks I have gone mad when I say "hmmmmmmm....stwawbewwy". Alas.


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 4

Munchkin

I used to have the closing theme to Bod as my PC shutdown. I eventually had to take it off as I was being repeatedly punched by my flatmate in shear desperation. I changed it to Jamie and the Magic Torch, which didn't chear him up much.


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 5

Lord Lopper

Where did you get the bod theme from? Got any others (clangers/bagpuss/trumpton etc)

BTW the following link should solve the Pugwash names debates
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/taylornm/Pugwash.htm


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 6

Munchkin

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1011/index.html This was my main source of pilfered old themes. I haven't explored it for a while, but it looks to still be up-to-date.


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 7

jinx

I feel left out, being from Australia, we fortunately have (shrinking wagon wheels) and Pugwash, but I have never heard of any of the other things mentioned. Anyway, here's another theory, wagon wheels were based on the aforementioned items (ie wagon wheels), when we were younger, they were in plentiful supply, now they are not (obviously, just look out your window). As such when they had to re-make the mold, and not having a handy wagon wheel, they made do with the next best thing, a woman's compact (purely guessing that part, but its about the same size).

The moral you are getting too old to be eating children's lollies, go and have a beer!


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 8

Ashbocking

Surely the WWE is just the confectionery version of a more widespread, far reaching, deeply ingrained and unavoidable phenomenon?

Other related, non-sweetshop oriented, nostalgia phenomena include:
Policeman looking younger
People under 30 looking thinner
Summers seeming colder
Youngsters being ruder
Streets being dirtier
Sit coms being less funny

I could go on but my lunch break seems to have just got shorter

Ashbocking


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 9

Demon Drawer

I never had a problem with the Pugwash names, I have a signed copy by the animator with the original names in. The things they used to allow to be said in children's libraries.

DD


Nostalgiac conversations

Post 10

Munchkin

Students get more naive.
Beer gets more expensive.
Web pages get slower.
People on TV quizzes get thicker.
Dr. Who monsters look more rubbery.
Kilmarnock play worse.

It just goes on and on. Think I had best get myself a Zimmer Frame soon.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more