A Conversation for Rectal Bleeding

interesting...

Post 1

azahar

Interesting on many levels.

First of all, that it's not a topic people like discussing in public - if at all - but changing this attitude could clearly help save lives.

A friend of mine who suffers from scleraderma has been urging both Nog and I to have a colonoscopy done (as we are both 50-something) but we've been avoiding this particular unpleasantness. Then a couple of weeks ago I got a serious bout of gastrointeritis and there was a huge amount of blood in the diarrhea, which scared the heck out of me.

As it was bright red blood it's assumed it was caused by the haemorrhoids I didn't even know I had until I got 'probed'. But to be on the safe a blood test was done and now I *have* to have a colonoscopy. Ick.

Well, I say 'ick' but of course it makes total sense to have this done. And especially for Nog who is 54 *and* colour blind. Which was yet another interesting point mentioned here. He would never notice if there was blood, especially if there were no other obvious symptoms.

I suppose it's human nature to avoid unpleasant situations or topics, but not everyone is going to get a 'wake up call' like I did and so it's great to see an entry like this on the Front Page.

Congrats on a very well-written and informative entry. smiley - ok

az


interesting...

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you so much for the feedback az
smiley - hug
May I respectfully direct you here: A19645220 as I've already had that donesmiley - erm
Then I had a barium enema - which is already written up and "pending" (if it goes FP tomorrow peeps are going to be smiley - ill)

The colourblindness problem was raised in PR by SoRB so I happily added that info, then researched how common it was smiley - sadface

You made writing this worthwhile, for me, thanks again, and smiley - goodluck with the upcoming procedure.

smiley - cheerup


interesting...

Post 3

Thaumos

The colourblindness point was fascinating, and the article is generally really informative smiley - smiley

Much approval smiley - biggrin


interesting...

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you very muchsmiley - biggrin


interesting...

Post 5

pharoah_aloysius

its absolutely true that you realise one when we get a "wake up call"...i've experienced it twice (blood in poop) it just thought that it wasnt that serious and was embarrased to talk bout it...but not until now after reading it....im so damn scared bout it smiley - wah


interesting...

Post 6

azahar

It may be nothing, it may be something serious. Better to be smart than scared and get it checked out as soon as possible. The colonoscopy isn't actually that bad and, when caught and treated early, colon cancer has a very good cure success rate.

Weird seeing this post pop up again because I never did have that colonoscopy done in 2007 due to difficulties with arranging an appointment. After awhile I just gave up and thought it wasn't necessary because my symptoms were just that once.

Then a year later I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. And I'll never know if that missed colonoscopy might have found something sooner and my condition would have been more treatable. That I went a whole other year without any further symptoms suggests the two incidents weren't related, but I'll never know for sure...

Let us know what happens. And soon, okay?


az


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Rectal Bleeding

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more