A Conversation for The High-rise Fire Curtain

Smoke Curtains

Post 1

antwbd

Health and safety is becoming ever more important for all public places. In a bid to combat the hazards of the outbreak of fire many innovations have been made from smoke alarms to fire doors. However one of the best modern innovations in fire protection and safety is the development of the smoke curtain.
Smoke curtains are barriers that are designed to contain and channel smoke and heat away from areas within a premise. Smoke curtains activate in response to a fire alarm automatically descending to secure the areas in which they have been installed. This assists with the quick and safe evacuation of people by protecting the various means of escape.
The amount of research and design that has gone into manufacturing fire and smoke curtains is quite remarkable. Smoke curtains can be installed very easily wherever you deem fit and restrictions of space is not a problem. Due to this smoke curtains are very versatile when you compare it to its counterpart the fire door. This versatility has meant that fire curtains are now becoming the standard fire safety equipment in many industries including Shopping centres, supermarkets, hotels, airports and theatres.
Smoke curtains are made from woven glass fibre fabric and is normally rolled onto a steel tube. Within it is a 24V DC motor, a sealed heavy duty ball bearing and an electronic control circuit. The roller in total (including the fabric) is housed in galvanised mild-steel head boxes which are normally bolted to the building. In the event of a fire signal the smoke curtains descend and automatically retract once the fire signal stops. The smoke curtains are controlled by the motors via a synchronised speed circuit which ensures that all curtains are raised at similar rates. Smoke curtains descend through gravity at all times and have back-up systems in case of a mains failure.
How do the curtains resist the heat and smoke? This is quite impressive and in simple terms it is due to the metal side guides between the curtain and the building. These create a seal between the fabric and the building and so no smoke or fire can penetrate through the fabric. It is imperative therefore that the seal between the metal side guides and the building are water tight.
If thinking about installing a smoke curtain within your premises it is important that the preparation before hand is thorough. The area of a building in which you are to fix the curtains should have a solid substrate and timber truss (eg blockwork, concrete or brickwork) to provide sound fixing for all 4 sides of the smoke curtain. The smoke curtain should not be exposed externally or under damp conditions so ensure the area you are to install the smoke curtains is dry. It goes without saying that safety, is extremely important and so installation should be carried out by a professional.

When choosing a professional ensure that they are qualified and that the smoke curtains they use comply with British and European Standards. Also ensure that regular maintenance is carried out and they are checked.

This is just a quick overview of what smoke curtains can do. They really are a must have for businesses and the fact that they are discreet, effective and easy to install make them one of the best investments for the fire safety today.



From the http://www.fire-curtains-and-smoke-curtains.blogspot.com/ blog produced by

http://www.blegroup.co.uk/curtains


Key: Complain about this post

Smoke Curtains

More Conversations for The High-rise Fire Curtain

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more