A Conversation for Motion Picture Association of America Ratings System

The MPAA Rating System

Post 1

Vonce

First of all, the fact that there is a rating system as non-specific (or at all) as the MPAA's is just plain offensive. Also offensive is the notion that anyone younger that the arbitrary age of 17 is incapable of standing to watch someone get killed graphically or have sex (everyone has to learn how sometime) without becoming a deranged murder, drug abuser and sex offender. The ratings should be abolished. To quote the song 'The Unforgiven' by Metallica: "You label me, I'll label you, so I dub thee Unforgiven." The watercooler talk and comercials can make it very clear who the movie is for. It should also be noted that many American teenagers are capable (mentally and emotionally) of making their own entertainment descisions, and the fact that the final descision on what movies they see is either made by the parents, or relies on some teenage treachery is sick. Teenagers are seperate human beings, they think for themselves (well...about as much as anyother age group) and even the best (or worst) parent won't be able to make a descision for a teen as well as that teen can. We don't need a rating system, we need to loosen up.


Key: Complain about this post

The MPAA Rating System

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more