A Conversation for Black Smokers

Also....

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

This explaisn why the sea is so salty - as it turns out that the entire volume of the oceans passes though these vents every thousand or so years....or did I mishear that?

(Came here by random chance - the best way to travel http://www.h2g2.com/A420030)


Also....

Post 2

Moonkai

that is supposed to be one of the theories revolving around hydrothermal vents. There is lots of interesting information out there in research papers about hydrothermal vents. But I noticed that white smokers are not mentioned in this article...as there are two types of vent black and white smokers...


Also....

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

Wow - you seem to know a lot about it...I have a feeling you will be a great help here - welcome.


Also....

Post 4

Moonkai

Well I have just done a course on the benthos. I am in the honours year of my marine biology degree...thanks for the welcome...


Also....

Post 5

sven-olaf

and then there is the vent system of the lost city. that's neither black nor white smokers is it???
and cold seeps too that are really low temperature but support similar life


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more