The Future of Computing

1 Conversation

<Work In Progress>

Computing activities will be divided into mobile computing and home computing. Mobile computing applies to when I am away from my home (home base). The device I carry with me, a 'message centre' will be an advanced form of mobile telephone with the following capabilities: Telephoning, Limited Internet Access, E-Mail and Messaging Management, and MP3s. Expect a DVD version as well with a small screen like a camcorder's for viewing videos. It will interface to a TV to play the videos for audiences. This device is conceptualised to provide entertainment and communications options.

Home computing applies to when I am at home base, or visiting the home base of someone else. I will be able to plug my 'message centre' directly into the computer to upload/download e-mails, MP3s and so on. If I am visiting someone else, this will be no problem, because I will still be able to access my home base as if I was there.

The result of this is that computing will become completely transparent, and practically independent of location. The Internet is the driving force behind this philosophy.

The 'Message Centre'. This device will be manufacturer independent, which means that the operating system will be an irrelevant part of the specification. The specification will be what you actually want the device to do. For example, I would have a device with mobile telephone, Internet browsing and e-mail services, with the ability to play MP3s.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A218387

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more