A Conversation for Siddhartha - The Man Who Became Buddha

A Unified Theory of Philosophy

Post 1

OPAL_ideas

In search of a “unified theory of philosophy".

The elements of many philosophies/religions, it seems, can be distilled to four principles. Please allow me to state that this is not something I dreamed up last night. Over the past fifty years, a compulsion has been pushing me to sort out these ideas. As a five-year-old, I proudly announced to my mother that one of the things I was going to do differently was to not eat meat. She didn’t think that a wise choice. We both persisted in our beliefs, and I finally was allowed to make that decision.

Over these intervening years, I have travelled around the world on business, but I saw everywhere as a unique opportunity to learn more – particularly on the topic of what underlying concepts drove people to their unique actions. In university, I studied behavioural psychology, sociolinguistics, political science, biology, management systems and religion.

This is my distillation of the “high road” of the philosophies of homo sapiens, which I call the four guides:

Love yourself
Love your family
Love your community
Love life

In describing the word “love”, I would use such modifiers as respect, understand, accept.

One guide is not predominant over the others. Each has its special value at different times in one’s life. In general, though, there is usually a progression from being able to love yourself, to loving life.

May I add that I place "life" in contrast to not-life. That is, everything that replicates and evolves, versus the raw star-stuff that merely takes up space.

There are, admittedly, many assumptions on which I built this construct. For instance, that this Greek/Hindu/? adage is useful in most cases: moderation in everything. And that those who have the capacity to understand the guides, would also have the capability to apply them (from the point of view of resources, political/tribal exigencies, etc.). It may be that the assumptions begin to invalidate any benefits. What do you think?

I am hoping that a discussion, here, could provide me with new insights from the many perspectives of this on-line community.


A Unified Theory of Philosophy

Post 2

B&L

I'm not entirely sure this needs discussing because I think you've about nailed it. Its one of those things everyone knows, they just don't comprehend its importance or take the time to ponder it.

smiley - stout


A Unified Theory of Philosophy

Post 3

OPAL_ideas

Thank you B&L.
The next question is, can this begin to help in some way?


A Unified Theory of Philosophy

Post 4

shael_m

I am sure that love is the fundamental entity that most humans lack... most everyone is so self-conscious but without regard for anyone or anything else. I am a confirmed Episcopalian but Buddha really had great ideas- vegetarianism (if you can't kill it yourself, you shouldn't eat it, I always say), the string analogy, moderation, Karmic principle... it is wonderful stuff. People need to have an awareness for everyone else's well being to promote harmony. Interestingly enough, it all starts with self love which is very difficult to attain for some. You need to be content with yourself before you can focus on spreading positive forces to others.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more