A Conversation for Electronic Fuel Injection, Air/Fuel Mixtures and Catalytic Convertors

Corrections.

Post 1

Visionary149272

The Fuel Pressure on a given ccar varys from car to car, Manufacturer to Manufacturer.. You should not list a Static # as such.

You mention Catalytic Converters, But nothing about What they actually do. It should be mentioned that the way they manage their task is by being filled with a catalyst That Heats to a Pre-designated temp and at that point Reacts with the Gasses Flowing through it.

Octane Rating COULD be described as a particular fuels resistance to Knocking or "Detonation" (Detonation should be referenced, Since Knocking is actually the noise Caused by Detonation or Pre-Ignition.) But octane actually has little to do with it in a Poorly tuned car. Octane Technically refers to a Fuels anti-knock properties, But More directly it refers to the speed at which Fuel Burns. Low Octane fuel is in fact more prone to pre-ignition bcs of its ability to burn quickly. So in a poorly tuned car where Detonation is occurning and the Cylinder walls of the engine are too hot it will ignite simply from the temperature in the cylinder rather than from the Actual Spark from the spark plug. Whereas A High Octane Fuel will not Ignite at those temperatures. Giving an Engine more room to create and properly disperse heat.

Just Some thoughts...


Addendum

Post 2

Lanc - GURU and ACE

Just a note for the reader NOx or nitrous oxides are considered pollutants. These pollutants are from the naturally occurring air we breathe. The air is 80% Nitrogen and under heat or other extreme conditions may chemically combine with Oxygen to form NOx.

The EGR or exhaust gas recalculation system operated by allowing exhaust gas back in to the intake system thus killing the combustion efficiency of the engine which lowers the flame front temperature thus producing less oxides of nitrogen. This also kills gas mileage and horsepower for the hot rodder.

Just for general knowledge the flame front normally propagates at a rate near 200 feet per second in the cylinder. It may seem fast. A knock, which is, actually the piston trying to turn sideways in the cylinder with uneven combustion forces propagate at 600 to 800 feet per second. IT may seem explosive but explosives burn at 4000 FPS for civilian to 8000FPS for military grade (C4 or det cord). Also the flame front from gasolines will have a temperature of 3200F to 5000F generally speaking. Explosives will have a temperature of around 50,000F. Nitrocellulose and nitro glycerin release much more energy per any given volume.


Addendum

Post 3

Flyboy

Thanks for the inputs and for taking time to read the article. When mentioning the fuel pressure I was merely trying to give a ball-park. Most modern fuel injection systems I've seen run somewhere around 35-40psi. I didn't cover the catalytic convertor or EGR systems too much. In reality I should have covered a lot more, but I lost interest before I got that much done. I had been reading some articles that propogated mis-conceptions by lack of detail and I wanted to refute those somehow. I tried to write an article that made sense and pointed out these omissions. Next time I'll have a clearer plan.

Have either of you considered writing some technical articles for the auto-enthused around here? There are quite a few of us gearheads, but nobody's writing articles.


Addendum

Post 4

Lanc - GURU and ACE

Why thank you It has always been my hobby. cars and engines that is.

Seems I graduated with a double degree in automotive design technology and Product design. So different in many ways yet so similar in many respects. Somehow I never worked in the field. I ended up testing computer software.

Sometime back I designed an apposed cylinder High RPM diesel. Thats 2 pistons on 2 conjoined crankshafts compressing the mixture in the middle of the cylinder. Provides for ultra high compression with a short stroke. That keeps piston to cylinder speed below 4000fps and RPMs capable of 7000. Literally double a conventional diesel. But tooling costs and patent costs were far beyond what I could do.

Well enough of that. I write notes to briefings on software all say. Doing it or gear stuff here. Maybe occasionally. When the spirit moves me. But I would like to consult or comment on threads others bring forward.

Take care.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more