The Amsterdam Albatross

0 Conversations

PREVENTING THE NEEDLESS SLAUGHTER OF THE ALBATROSS

Contents | Photos | Crew |Log | Press | RSPB | Petition


The Amsterdam Albatross is the rarest albatross in the world and one of only two species (the other is Chatham Albatross) in the category of gravest threat of extinction ('Critically Endangered') recognised by the World Conservation Union's (IUCN). It has a total population of around 130 birds including only 80 mature individuals, of which on average 20 pairs breeding annually. They are confined to a tiny area of Amsterdam Island (French Southern Territories) in the southern Indian Ocean.

The Amsterdam Albatross is a huge bird, very closely related to Wandering Albatross, but - unlike that species - the adult plumage is chocolate brown. Although numbers have rallied of late, the prognosis is for continuing decline with evidence of highly infectious avian cholera and another disease spreading from a nearby colony of Indian Yellow-nosed Albatrosses and killing Amsterdam Albatross chicks.

Deaths from Japanese longline fishing in the region could have contributed to past declines and although this particular risk has receded, a recent increase in Taiwanese pelagic longlining in the vicinity of Amsterdam Island could pose a renewed threat. It is vital that longline fisheries take every precaution to prevent seabird by-catch throughout this species' range, as the loss of relatively few adults could spell the death-knell of this species.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2082539

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more