A Conversation for The Neolithic Revolution - How Farming Changed the World

Hugely interesting

Post 1

Effers;England.

I found this entry very interesting indeed. I have always had a fascination with the Neolithic period and the change over from the 'hunter/gatherer' lifestyle. This piece is very concise and brings in all kinds of factors that happened as a result of a settled existence, biological, environmental, and cultural.

***

I've heard it suggested that as 'militarism' and attack of one settled community by another became more common, male deities started to become the most important and were often directly or indirectly associated with 'war' in some way. Before that the female deities were more important, and associated with fertility. I have seen some early neolithic figurines of female deities in Turkey.


Hugely interesting

Post 2

Woodpigeon

Yes, I guess a lot of things become a bit sketchy when you go too far back. An interesting book is Steven Mithen's "After the Ice", which tries to trace what we know about life way back then.


Hugely interesting

Post 3

ian991

You must be aware that we have still a lot of things to get discovered.
For example, if you heard about "Cat's Brain", the place that is one of the most amazin neolitic sites. Archaeologists excavated it, and they changed perspective about that place. They assumed that on this place people were actually living, probably under ground. They called it "House of the dead", because they found a lot of skeletons there.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/no-bones-provides-new-perspective-house-dead-009170


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more