A Conversation for Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night

Guy Fawkes

Post 1

Huw B

Guy Fawkes spent a large proportion of his life living in the Dutch town of Maastricht. This was the setting for the signing of the Maastricht Treaty (a very original name!) which bound the countries of the EU (at that time still the EC) more tightly together. Some commentators in the UK felt that this treaty undermined the sovereignty of Parliament, which oddly enough was exactly what Guy Fawkes was trying to achieve. Why has this town got it in for the UK?

Sometimes I think the Universe has a very subtle sense of humour!


Guy Fawkes

Post 2

FordsTowel

It kinda seemed that Fawkes had something against the monarchy, as opposed to the UK, or he could have just left.

Perhaps the town resents the torture and death of a favored son??

smiley - towel


Guy Fawkes

Post 3

geezerguyfawkes

Guy Fawkes like all the rest of the catholic radical terrorists involved in the plot came and went from the country regularly. He was located in europe by the terrorist cell behind it all and actually made political journies to spain and elsewhere on behalf of the plotters.

So perhaps if there were tighter restricitons the plot would not have gone so far....a lesson for us all newly revisited of late.

for more on Fawkes go here

http://www.bcpl.net/~cbladey/guy/html/mainz.html

CBsmiley - cheers


Guy Fawkes

Post 4

happymagikalmouse

Just a quick note for the guy who wrote the first entry here, the treaty signed in Maastricht wasn't called the Maastricht Treaty, rather it was called 'The Treaty of European Union." The other name was simply a tabloidisation.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more