A Conversation for Global Warming

Early Farmers

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Researchers at the Univ of Virginia, in research published in Quaternary Science Reviews earlier this year (2009), said that[previously] scientists had claimed that human's impact on the climate began with the Industrial Revolution and the population boom that followed. However, Stone Age darmers were responsible for GW some 7000 years ago due to their 'slash and burn' method for clearing forests. This released GHGs that would otherwise have been locked up in soil and vegetation They burned vast tracts of land (often as much as 5 times more than they needed) to get rid of pests and established plants, and to enrich the soil. After a few years, when crop yields declined, they simply set fire to a new area...

They said that, nowadays, about 90% less land/person is used for growing food.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more