A Conversation for The Karmann Ghia

Owning a Karmann Ghia

Post 1

Lasereye

I longed to own a Karmann Ghia, since the day, in 1967, as a boy of six, I first clapped my eyes on one.

The lady doctor at the top of the road where my Gran lived owned one. Dr Stoop had a pale blue type I (coupe) with a white roof, and I thought it was a beautiful car.

I dreamed pipe dreams for years about owning one, and in the late '90's joined the KGOC - uk (http://www.kgoc-gb.org/ ) where I found owners and members willing to share vital information about ownership and finding a car, without which, I may have bought a bottomless pit for money.

The thing is, being coachbuilt, and not really made for salt-laden roads, the poor Karmann Ghia suffers from rust more than most cars. Being a wonderfully sculptured shape, this makes body repair quite expensive.

After searching for years, and prompted by an incident of sudden death of a neighbour (roadcrash) I realised life was far too short for pipe dreams.

I took out a loan in June 1998, and purchased my very own VW Karmann Ghia in August 1998, after spending some money on one I found.

I adore the beauty, the simplicity of engineering, and the joy of driving it. It is most reliable, and is re-sprayed in its original Castilion yellow, a sort of early pearlescent colour which changes from beige in dull cloud,, to a bright yellow in sunshine.

I bought a LHD, 1967 type I, which, as I say I had re-sprayed. It looked ivory when I first saw it, as it had been kept in California, in the blistering sunshine, and lost its lustre being bleached by sunlight. The respray and re-upholster and re-carpet were the only things I did to it. Originally it had air-con. It still has hazard warning lights, a cigarette lighter, and a clock and a Blaupunkt radio (you don't get much more on a modern car!!!)

Anyone wishing to know more about these wonderful cars should visit the KGOC home pages, and learn what they will.

I have been on a camping holiday in mine, driven the length of the country for a holiday in Cornwall, and sometimes get a bit embarrassed when people approach to ask what the car is (it happens everywhere, especially in petrol stations).. but, that said, i iam proud to own one.

What they might not get a real flavour for is the sheer joy one brings.smiley - biggrin


Owning a Karmann Ghia

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

That sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. smiley - magic

I've never seen a Karmann Ghia other than on photos - and I live in Germany. smiley - doh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more