Co-counselling

2 Conversations

CO-counselling was first thought of by the late Harvey Jackins in the 1930's. Harvey a staunch marxist at the time ... saw a lot of merit in the work being done by L.Ron Hubbard in the pseudo psychology of Dianetics that he was developing at that time and in particular the idea of working with another person on the thoughts and emotions that held one back from being what one was capable of.

He named his type of barefoot counselling ... re-evaluation counselling in that with the tools at your disposal and working with another who unerstands them (the tools) you can re-evaluate your own life and break patterned behaviour which is keeping you from your goal.

Harvey set up Re-evaluation counselling in the U.S, particularly in the Eastern states and California .. with himself as international contact person ...i.e. head of the show. It was unashameldly left-wing with workers, blacks, and females being given a head start in the organisation. Having said that it was (is) very heirarchical with the Jackins family at the top of the tree.


One person to react against this was John Heron ... at the time (early 70's) the UK contact person ... and middle class to the extent of being almost aristocratic. He felt that the hieracrchy conflicted with the anarchic aims of co-counselling itself ... and so broke away from Harvey and formed CCI (Co-counselling international) which is almost anti-cult ... having no hierarchy whatsoever ... with decisions being taken on an ad-hoc basis .. and although ground rules are in place there is no mechanism for enforcing them. The local contacts are no more than publicicity people and the teachers just teach the basics then it is up to the learners themselves. Despite the lack of an organisation. CCI is still going in Britain Ireland Hungary Holland and New Zealand ... with a small community in the Eastern United States (NY, Vermont, Conneticut, and New England.)

JOhn Heron is still around but contributes little to CCI which just about keeps going on the goodwill of it's teachers and contact people across the globe. RC is in crisis with Harvey recently deceased and his son newly installed as international reference person ... more and more people are looking for new ways forwards for both orgaisations!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A191792

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more