The beater or drumstick used on a bodhrán1. Good ones are thin, 7-9 inches long and made from a dense hardwood such as rosewood, ipe, ebony or lignum vitae. Cheap ones (the kind you get with a new bodhran) are short, fat and so hard to play with that the average newbie gives up playing the bodhran and it becomes a wall hanging2.
1An Irish hand-held drum.2This is not entirely a bad thing, according to some fiddlers who opine that there are entirely too many bodhran players already.
Infinite Improbability Drive
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."
Most Recent Entries
- 'Despicable Me 3' - the Film
- The Ultimate DisneyToon Studios Animated Film Guide: 2004-2005
- The Greenbrier Incident: Ghost or No Ghost?
- Rear Admiral Grace Hopper - Mathematician and Computer Scientist
- Change for a US Dollar for Dummies: Higher Lower Mathematics
- The Etches Collection Museum of Jurassic Marine Life, Dorset, UK
- Twitter to the Barricades! #secondcivilwarletters and Their Meaning
- Octopus for a Preemie - a Comforting Craft Charity
- The Opposite of Horse Sense: Dick Fellows' Stagecoach Robbery Fails
- Mary Had a Little [Expletive Deleted]: Historical Moment in Sound Recording