The beater or drumstick used on a bodhrán1. Good ones are thin, 7-9 inches long and made from a dense hardwood such as rosewood, ipe, ebony or lignum vitae. Cheap ones (the kind you get with a new bodhran) are short, fat and so hard to play with that the average newbie gives up playing the bodhran and it becomes a wall hanging2.
1An Irish hand-held drum.2This is not entirely a bad thing, according to some fiddlers who opine that there are entirely too many bodhran players already.
Infinite Improbability Drive
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."
Most Recent Entries
- Klara Borstel-Engelsman: In Memoriam
- Nora Waln: A Tourist in Nazi Germany, and What She Found There
- The Strange Worlds of Larry Niven
- Maria Gaetana Agnesi - Mathematician
- Whittier, Alaska, USA: The Town Under One Roof
- 'Disneyland Adventures' - the Computer Game
- 'Godspell': The Musical and the Hymnbook
- Pop Songs That Name Drop
- The Case of the Prevaricating Prophet: Newo Newi New and the Diploma of Immortality
- UK Christmas Singles of the 1980s