The beater or drumstick used on a bodhrán1. Good ones are thin, 7-9 inches long and made from a dense hardwood such as rosewood, ipe, ebony or lignum vitae. Cheap ones (the kind you get with a new bodhran) are short, fat and so hard to play with that the average newbie gives up playing the bodhran and it becomes a wall hanging2.
1An Irish hand-held drum.2This is not entirely a bad thing, according to some fiddlers who opine that there are entirely too many bodhran players already.
Infinite Improbability Drive
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."
Most Recent Entries
- 'Moondial' - the Television Serial
- Makt Myrkranna: The Icelandic Dracula
- 'Pathfinders' - the Pioneering Science Fiction Television Series
- Spicy Slumgullion: An Emergency Meal
- Banana Bread Pudding - a Recipe
- The Ultimate Marvel Film Guide: 2015-2016
- Avocets - Wading Birds with Upcurved Beaks
- How to Make a Comforting Blanket and Reduce Waste
- 'Clerks II' - the Film
- Emily Carr - Canadian Artist and Author