A Conversation for Prague, Czech Republic

Good King Wenceslas

Post 1

Peta


Wenceslas Square is in Prague. Anyone know anything about how the carol came about?


Good King Wenceslas

Post 2

Woodpigeon

No, but apparently the guy was anything but good. Bit of a nasty boy really. Good at defenestrations though (see my previous entry).


Good King Wenceslas

Post 3

AnnaNorseGoddess

Where might I find this previous entry in the Guide? What is a defenestrations


Good King Wenceslas

Post 4

Woodpigeon

Hmmm. Good question. What indeed was my previous entry? What was going through my head when I typed in the phrase "See my previous entry"? Possibly I was hungry or something!

Anyway, defenestration refers to throwing people out of a window. It was a pretty common method of execution in Prague back over the last couple of hundred years.

CR


Good King Wenceslas

Post 5

wombat

Wenceslas Square in Prague was named after Wenceslas the Saint - patron saint of kingdom of Bohemia - today's Czech republic.

The Good king Wenceslas from Christmas carrol refers to Bohemian king Wenceslas II - father of English Good Queen Ann.

Hope it will help a little.

Hans


Good King Wenceslas

Post 6

wombat

By the way, the guy who is talking about defenestrations have his historical wires crossed a bit. He is talking about Wenceslas IV, last one of that name. And act of defenestration was not common way of execution, far from it, it happened onle twice, once in 14th century and second time in 17th century. In both cases it was a case of "palace revolution" when two oposing sides of nobles (parliament?) got onto each other throats. Also, in both cases there were no mortalities, a few broken legs and black eyes.

Hans


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more