A Conversation for Neil Gaiman's Sandman

the real reason

Post 1

kevin j

This entry misses the point of why people read The Sandman, Firstly the original story featured characters like John Constantine and The Justice League to attract people but most importantly DEATH. After issue 8 (I think) you could say someone looks like death and it would be a compliment, everyone knows someone who looked like that or at least wished they did. She was such a great character that the series came alive around her. By the way does anyone else agree that the best nonneil appearance was in the Ambush Bug Nothing Special.


the real reason

Post 2

Kurgan

Yes, DEATH was the main reason I got into the Sandman Waaaaayyy back in 1990.

So besotted with her was I that I painted her portrait above my mantlepiece (3ft sq.)and on the back of one of my jackets.

I also started wearing an anhk...(my friend started calling me the Sadman).


the real reason

Post 3

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

ooooh, i wear an ankh and have drawn death on my folder in biro, scary. but past tense for you is important. the new guy in the comic shop who i don't like cos the other guy who was cooler no longer works there spoke also of the series in such a way and mocked my perchases, but i've read the whole series in the last 6 months or so. i hate it when stuff i like is already really old.


the real reason

Post 4

Kurgan

Just because the series is finished doesn't make it 'old' as in obsolete. Literature lasts forever, certainly it's the experience of reading it that counts not its age. That comic book store man should be soundly slapped for such an attitude.

My use of 'was' should also be seen as 'am' and 'always will be'.

I only painted the death picture two years ago (when I moved into my very first home, i plan to do more)

Has anyone seen the new story from Neil about Lucifer? is it any good? i haven't had time to look for it yet.


the real reason

Post 5

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

no, i read something about that but haven't seen it either. do we know what it would be called?


the real reason

Post 6

Kurgan

Just got it today. It's called 'Lucifer, Devil in the gateway' and it's not by Neil, it's by Mike Carey with the foreword by Neil.

I'll let you know what I think of it once I've dragged me peepers over it.


the real reason

Post 7

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

:> good plan. i looked it up on amazon but i can't afford it right now and they don't have it in the library. let me know how good it is. i thoight the charactor had lots of potential, and the reviews were good.


the real reason

Post 8

Kurgan

It's 3 stories, connected to each other.
Very Neil, but then, Lucifer is to restrained I felt.
A good read, but IMO Lucifer felt like he had been downgraded a bit.


the real reason

Post 9

good plan (not a member of the denial club at A638589)

smiley - sadface oh well, will probably read them anyway some time.


Key: Complain about this post