A Conversation for Michael Collins - Irish Revolutionary Leader

Guerilla tactics

Post 1

Vestboy

Wouldn't it be true to say that Michael Collins "invented" modern guerilla tactics? As far as I remember he worked out that standing in lines shooting at your, superior in numbers and weaponry, enemy was a fools game. Using your small force to wage a hit and run war has become the method of choice of small armed groups around the world.

I also use him to remind myself of the name of the third astronaut in the first moon landing.


Guerilla tactics

Post 2

Eiona1

Eamon De Valera knew what he was doing sending Collins who was bound to fail - they knew they couldn't win against the Brits without external help - it's funny how the Americans never seem to turn up at the best time!


Guerilla tactics

Post 3

Werner, I am the great Liar

guerilla tactics were used to good effect in the boer war twenty years previous


Guerilla tactics

Post 4

Vestboy

So what I read was incorrect. When did terrorism as a concept start?


Guerilla tactics

Post 5

WhoElse

that's a tricky one in the modern climate - you'd almost want to qualify guerilla tactics as seperate to terrorism.

It used to be a more widely accepted cliché that a majority's terrorism is a minority's freedom fighting, but with recent years' events and all, there seems to be a pervading idea that terrorists are groups who for religious reasons rather than humanistic ideals, attack a way of life - so political struggles really should be seperated out for clarity!

Collins certainly is regarded as a freedom fighter in Ireland, and consequently as a guerilla fighter rather than a terrorist. Some heavyhanded reprisals by british forces or black and tans cemented this idea.

but the origins of guerilla tactics is a good question. Possibly religious sects suppressed by Rome?
While Collins is credited, the word comes from the Peninsular War (1808-14), where Spanish guerrillas (irregulars) crushed Napoleons' forces. Mao Tse Tung is credited too, so it looks liek it was a tactic that developed organically in numerous countries, interestingly not always developed by the weaker side. Although the best known example is usually Viet Nam, where a millenium spent repelling China's advances came in handy...


Guerilla tactics

Post 6

Vestboy

I agree with your insights. Nelson Mandela is a good modern example. I think that governments create problems for themselves. If they demonise their enemy to the extent that the public think that any dialogue is a waste of time and shows weakness on the government's part it is difficult to bring any situation to an end.

John McDonnell MP (Hayes and Harlington), who has thrown his hat into the ring for the leadership of the Labout Party, is being criticised for talking to Sinn Fein prior to the government saying it was OK.


Guerilla tactics

Post 7

swl

Guerilla tactics were being employed by Sir William Wallace in Scotland in the 13th Century and were continued by King Robert the Bruce into the 14th Century.

Tribes in Gaul used the tactic successfully to harass Caesar's supply lines and Greek tribes used the same methods prior to that against Crassus and Pompey.

It may be that guerilla warfare is an entirely natural and time-honoured tactic.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Michael Collins - Irish Revolutionary Leader

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more