A Conversation for London Underground - Metropolitan Line: East of Harrow

Harrow-on-the-Hill

Post 1

RockitRon

I like the description of the station's opening, surrounded by countryside, and that it now "sits in the middle of "Metro-land", created by many house buyers flocking to the area".

Just in case that paints a picture of an idyllic residential location, prospective visitors should take note that the main exit of the station deposits one into a large, modern bus station, crossing a busy road to an even bigger shopping mall.

The station is in the middle of Harrow town centre, and the Hill, and Harrow School, which are a world away in terms of atmosphere, are a hearty mile away, uphill (there is an occasional bus). The station was given the name Harrow-on-the-Hill to avoid confusion with the Bakerloo and main line station Harrow & Wealdstone. (At the time of writing this the map link actually shows Harrow & Wealdstone by mistake - I've sent an EF message.)

One slightly curious aspect of the station is that the tracks are actually (roughly) at street level. However the station building and ticket office is on a bridge above them, so passengers have to mount a flight of steps, only to descend another set to the platforms.


Key: Complain about this post

Harrow-on-the-Hill

More Conversations for London Underground - Metropolitan Line: East of Harrow

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more