Norton In Australia

1 Conversation

I think the first thing that people wonder is why did he do it, but then people often say I wish I had done something like that.

Northern Territory, Queensland and back to Sydney

After I returned to my lodgings in Sydney I had to use up some of my spares to get the bike back to a to roadworthy condition and I did this over the next few days. I also got my personal plates RR 33. The bike was a bit dirty but not bad considering the trip it had made.

I think I had done what I intended to do, so I had to set out and get some work as soon as possible. I worked for a few months in my trade as an electrician and took a trip down to Tazmania. While there I saw this unusual sign.

Look out for penguins!

I did various other trips and did some work fruit picking in Victoria and also in Queensland. While I was there we had tropical rains that caused floods and for some reason the Norton got one of its cylinders filled with water. I siphoned out the water and then started the bike up. I am sure it caused damage and I decided I had done as much as I could, so I made my way back to Sydney and thought it was time for the bike to be sent back to the UK in July 1983.

Way down south

This was a board that was made up when the bike went to a show in London it gives a good idea of where it went. The round trip was approx 10,000 miles but a further 13,000 were done in the eastern states and going to Tazmania.

The board of the complete round-Australia trip

There are always things you would like to do and I would have liked to do the Birdsville Track - the biggest problem would have been I would have to carry extra fuel which is a hazard. I must admit I would still like to do that trip.

The final photograph shows a memorable day for me. The picture was taken on 13th April 1988 which was when I went with my dad to Stanford Hall, Leicestershire, where the bike was on show for a number of years. We got it started after a 5 year rest. This was a really memorable day for me as it was the last one with my father - he died 2 days later. I still like my bikes and would like to do some distance riding again. What is in the future no one knows...

Lasting memories

The Norton In Australia Archive

NVQAssessor

05.10.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A15884454

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more