A Conversation for PG Wodehouse - Humorist

adams tribute to wodehouse

Post 1

fluffykerfuffle

hi another of his admirers as im sure you know was haha douglas adams himself!!
i have been reading the Salmon of Doubt and in it is part of his foreword to wodehouses Sunset at Blandings.... (ironically both these works are unfinished posthumous works) here is an excerpt....

Adams makes a good point in his intro to Sunset at Blandings when he says,
…We may do the great man a disservice when we pull out our favorite [Wodehouse] quotes in public, like “Ice formed on the butler’s upper slopes,” or “…like so many substantial Americans, he had married young and kept on marrying, springing from blonde to blonde like the chamois of the Alps leaping from crag to crag” or (here I go again) my current favorite, “He spun round with a sort of guilty bound, like an adagio dancer while watering the cat’s milk” because, irreducibly wonderful though they are, by themselves they are a little like stuffed fish on a mantelpiece. You need to see them in action to get the full effect. There is not much in Freddie Threepwood’s isolated line “I have here in this sack a few simple rats” to tell you that when you read it in context you are at the pinnacle of one of the most sublime moments in all of English literature.
Adams puts Wodehouse right up there with Milton, Shakespeare and Keats, and notes, Shakespeare, when he wrote “A man may smile, and smile and be a villain” might have been at least as impressed by “Many a man may look respectable, and yet be able to hide at will behind a spiral staircase.”


adams tribute to wodehouse

Post 2

fluffykerfuffle

ive been posting only a cupla days but it seems my posts are not even looked at and they are about the founder of this site... what gives? is there anyone still here who cares about douglas adams and what he has contributed to the world? it just seems sad to me. and many of the site links to him hadnt been accessed for 2 weeks or more sometimes a year. smiley - wah

....i thought you all loved him so


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more