A Conversation for Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK

Bridge of Sighs

Post 1

Mindy

This text must have been written by a Trinitarian! The Bridge of Sighs at John's is truly romantic, but perhaps more so from the inside. It also has the benefit of not leading you to your place of death as in Venice, but only to your place of crashing out after a heavy night. My comment on its exterior appearance is that it is very difficult to draw.


Bridge of Sighs

Post 2

IanG

At my school we had pads of A4 ruled paper on the cover of which was a drawing of the Bridge of Sighs at St Johns. So someone managed it. smiley - smiley

I always quite liked the one at John's. But wasn't it DNA himself (an alumnus of John's) who said that the bridge was so named because it looked nothing like the one in Venice? smiley - smiley


Bridge of Sighs

Post 3

Mindy

I think I had one of those pads too (did the artist cheat by using a photo though?) For the record, I did manage to draw a passable picture of it in the end.

The quote you mention sounds familiar, but trying to work out who this DNA chap is is giving me a Crick in my Watson (appropriately, I'm sure, on the day the human genome was mapped). Elucidate please!


Bridge of Sighs

Post 4

IanG

DNA is Douglas Adams' researcher name round here. (It's his initials.) See http://www.h2g2.com/U42 for details.

The quote comes from the video of the making of the TV edition of h2g2. They were going to do some filming in St Johns until they found out how much it was going to cost, so instead they had a sequence where DNA was mildly taking the piss out of St Johns. smiley - smiley This was one of his comments.


Bridge of Sighs

Post 5

Mindy

Whoops yes, one nickname I should have known - egg on face smiley - sadface - especially as I did know he was a Johnian.


Bridge of Sighs

Post 6

IanG

I'd never heard 'Johnian' as a term for a St Johns alumnus before. I'd only come across Caian (probably 'cos I went there...) Petrian (for Peterhouse) and my favourite, Corpuscle. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more