Prayer in Public Schools

2 Conversations

Ooh! You're gonna burn in hell fer that one boy!


Prayer in schools is not a new concept. An old joke goes, "so long as there are pop quizzes, there will be prayer in schools."


There are devout and religious Christians in the United States of America who want time set aside each school day where children are asked to take a moment of silence and bow their heads in prayer to God.


The only problem is, which God?


Not all people agree to the same god, whether there is a god, or how many gods there are. Those who are pushing this desire for prayer in schools are largely of a monotheistic faith known as Christianity. However, though Christianity is arguably the most popular religion in the world, not every child is a Christian, and not every child's parents want their children subjected to Christianity as the only option.


The devout and outspoken Christians are not dismayed by this. For thousands of years, Christians have found ways to push their beliefs on others. They believe it a sacred duty and any obstacles are there merely to test their faith. Convincing you to reject your own beliefs and embrace theirs not only guarantees the safety or your soul in their mind, but it also reinforces on a subconscious level, their own belief system.


Christians have admittedly gotten a little better about this over the centuries. At least nowadays they are not as apt to turn to bloodshed in order to save your soul. My how times change. Some Christians actually pray for Jews and fear for their souls1.


Furthermore it is argued that religion does not have a place in an institution for learning. It tends to cause arguments, and religion tends to curb free choice, free speech, and free proliferation of knowledge. The debate is ongoing, and there may never be a solution to it that will please every individual.


The scholastic system actually started inside church walls. In Europe during the Middle Ages, the only way someone could learn something other than what their parents already knew, was to go to church. There one could learn mathematics, theology, as well as Latin and other now "dead languages." The Church was actually rather greedy in regards to book learning in those days. One would have to promise to serve the clergy for life in order to be educated at Seminary. Even back in those days the Roman Catholic Church knew that Knowledge is Power.


Many scholars of the Middle Ages 2 discovered and embraced the quieted knowledge of the greek and roman societies, which the Roman Catholic Church silenced some time around the Byzantine era. Famous thinkers like Galileo, Newton and Leonardo DaVinci picked up where the romans and greeks left off and made new discoveries.


Over time, centuries old ideas became outdated by new sciences and philosophies that the Church had to fight against. The Roman Catholoic Church took as a given that the Earth was a flat plane in the center of the universe and that there was nothing greater than Man on this world. Science and theology began questioning such assumptions with factual evidence that sheer faith and biblical interpretation alone could not dispute.


It is interesting and ironic to note that in the days of Jesus Christ and Julius Caesar, Christians were persecuted for questioning the absolute power and injustice of the Roman Empire. Over the centuries, the Roman Empire fell and made way for the Roman Catholic Church, which persecuted with absolute power and injustices anyone who questioned them. The battle of "might makes right" versus "knowledge is light" has been an ongoing fight for over two millenia.


As time wore on, the Middle Ages gave way to the European Renaissance, which was a new enlightened age that took nothing at face value. Everything was questioned, and the Catholic Christian religion had much inner turmoil.


Eventually some followers of the Catholic faith broke away to found their own variants of the religion, including denominations like Baptist, Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian faiths, and even more extreme offshoots like the Mormons, the Charismatics and the Jehovah's Witnesses. Despite this, Christianity is still the most widely known and organized belief system on this planet, and Catholicism is still the most popular of all the religious faiths.


However, though a series of organized religions that sometimes still try to work together, their differences of beliefs have kept each denomination set apart from the others. Paganism and other "heathen" beliefs struggled, and some belief systems have been literally demolished in bloody wars and crusades. Still more however have survived despite this persecution. There are also individuals who choose not to believe in any god, preferring instead to put their "faith" in the sciences or admittedly in nothing at all. Last but certaintly not least, throughout history, the Jewish faith has remained steadfast and constant, having existed since the days of Moses.


There are people who look at the recent events and they believe by taking God out of schools, the end result is an increase in criminal activity and juvenile delinquence. They believe God must remain in schools, as it was when schooling began, in order to maintain discipline and teach a decent moral code in the children who represent the future of our society. However, those who disagree point to many times in history where religion superceded the search for factual knowledge, which led to ignorant and brutal acts like the Salem witch trials of the 1700s or the Spanish Inquisition and the bloody Crusades of European history. Both sides have good points. We need to instill the necessity of moral integrity in our children, but not at the cost of continuing to improve our weatlh of knowledge unbridled.


So as we approach the 21st century, there are practically as many different beliefs as there are people. Even inside the scope of a given denomination, each church has their own slight variant on the principles founded by their predecessors, and in the heart of each human being lay one's own personal belief system that (at least in theory) works for each of them.


If they do eventually put prayer in schools, they have to put all the other religious stuff in schools too. It is not acceptable merely to offer a moment of silence and ask all children to pray to God, because the question of which God will always be in dispute.


Pagans should be able to perform rituals during recess. People into voodoo should be able to take their teacher's dress and rip out a piece to put on their doll. Satanists should be able to have goat heads in the cafeteria.


I think this NOT having prayer in schools is the wrong direction. I think all the religions of the world should be allowed to freely and openly wreck havoc on the student assemblies of this great country of ours. Jews and Catholics should be forced to pray in the same room. Pentacostal church of God snake handlers should be allowed to sit in the laps of Baptists. It's the only way to true Harmony.


Granted, no actual LEARNING will get done, but who wants to bother with history and botany and the laws of physics? It's so boring. With religion in schools, we could have crusades, witch trials and inquisitions! School would be fun again!


And if the Ten Commandments are posted on the walls of all the schools in America, the Brag of the SubGenius should be there right alongside it. As well as the words of Mohammed, Crowley, Elvis, Ghandi, Confuscious, and the Dailai Llama.


Oh, and Lenny Bruce.

1I know. I was raised Christian myself, and find the thought of Christians praying for Jewish souls rather laughable, but I have a twisted sense of humor.2Also known as the Dark Ages because very little history was kept and knowledge was religiously persecuted

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A149780

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more