A Conversation for International Driving Etiquette

Driving Etiquette - Brighton

Post 1

GreyDesk

When driving in Brighton there are three issues to keep in mind.
Tourists on foot and Tourists in cars.

Tourists on foot will always try to use the pedestrian crossing after the lights have changed against them. They use the logic that someone else is trying to cross just in front of them, so why shouldn't they. Therefore it is perfectly acceptable for car drivers, once they have right of way, to drive straight at the errant pedestrian. It gives the pedestrian a bit of a work out as they run for it, or if they don't make it - well that's just natural selection at work.

Tourists in cars always use the A23 in and out of Brighton. We locals think that is just fine and dandy. The A23 is a narrow and complicated single carriageway road with lots of junctions and other obsticles, and is totally jammed up every weekend. All the other routes in and out of Brighton are dual carriageways and are empty apart from the locals laughing at the tourists. We keep it this way by not signposting them in any way that a foreigner would understand.


Key: Complain about this post

Driving Etiquette - Brighton

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more