A Conversation for Poitin - Irish Whiskey

Irish influence on an American Icon

Post 1

NormanscousinRob

It would be interesting to track how "bog water" became moonshine in North America. Many of those who settled areas now known for moonshine/white lightning/corn liquor etc, were of Irish or Scotch/Irish decent.

The main difference between the two seems to be the ingredient used; Corn is the primary base in the US while barley, by this account, is the primary in Ireland. The methods of production and concealment seem to be similar as well. Moonshine also tends to be clear, looking much like water in most cases. Thus the nickname "white lightning".

Moonshine, in my experience, is usually drunk from the lid of the mason jar it comes in, and one lid is generally considered the proper dosage. Any more and you may find yourself in odd places when you wake up. Great post!


Key: Complain about this post

Irish influence on an American Icon

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more