A Conversation for The Lily Leaf Beetle

Liliocertis lilii

Post 1

zendevil


Hmm. So i reckon we can't blame 2legs for this one, it's definitely Lil's fault.

So how is France tackling this? I've seen red & black shield bugs mooching around my plants, & obviously greenfly on me smiley - rose & the Dreaded Snails munch everything in sight, but don't think i've spotted this one.

Found a very nice dried out stag beetles head in the road the other day. Lovely pincers.

zdt


Liliocertis lilii

Post 2

~:*-Venus-*:~

smiley - laugh Yep, it must be Lil's fault.

Do you have lilies? Sometimes it hides under the leaves and you don't see it, crafty little devils that they are. smiley - erm

I think France is one of the countries where the parasitic insect is used to control it. There is most likely a chemical you can buy to kill it aswell.


Liliocertis lilii

Post 3

denqui-otee

If they come from Europe their predator(s) must come from Europe too, so in a nature-miming system with native lilies growing interspersed with other plants and healthy soil and bug populations, control is already taken care of. In Europe, there's probably only a problem where large scale monoculture, which typically involves heavy use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, of lilies is attempted. Especially if they're trying to grow non-native species that haven't evolved any countermeasures.
Over here in the colonies, my big fear is that it'll develope a liking for our native species.
In any case, chemical control in the long run tends to be more effective against predators than against the species actually being targetted.
BTW, it's funny that garlic is a deterrent, garlic belonging to the lily family and all.


Liliocertis lilii

Post 4

~:*-Venus-*:~

The parasitoid does come from Europe.Thats why tests are being carried out in the US with parasitoids, to see if they will (a) survive in the US and (b) to release the bugs if they do.
The lily beetle has no other predators aside from this, which is why the population had increased so much in Europe. Here in the UK we have no such predator, as the beetle was also a mistaken import.
Chemical control is limited, there are a few around and thats ok, if you're not organic.
The beetle targets ALL native species of lily, no matter where they come from. Not good news to anywhere that suddenly finds themselves invaded by them. smiley - yikes
I found it amusing that they don't like garlic too smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Lily Leaf Beetle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more