A Conversation for Sir Patrick Moore - Astronomer, TV Presenter and Author

Great article; lots of nostalgia

Post 1

phil_tipping

I know it's 2.5 years late, but wow, what an in-depth article; excellent stuff and a fascinating read.
Brought back memories of seeing him at a local theatre (the Hippodrome in Ashton, I think) many years ago, when he was running his talks on the solar system. He would talk non-stop the whole evening with no prompts or notes; a very interesting & informative man.
We were also lucky to meet him in person when he was asked to do the formal opening in Sept 1997 of one of my old haunts - the Stockport Telescope & Binocular shop, near Manchester. My wife had a copy of a book written by his mother Gertrude, called 'Mrs. Moore in Space', and asked Patrick to sign it for her - think he was quite touched. The book is full of illustrations of weird characters who 'may' inhabit other worlds, which did seem at odds with Patrick's well-known views about 'little green men'!
Phil.


Great article; lots of nostalgia

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you - and lucky you to have met him! I've chatted with him on a phone a couple of times, he is a legend and a truly delightful personality.

smiley - biggrin


Great article; lots of nostalgia

Post 3

AlsoRan80

Thank you dear GB for guiding me to that quite wonderful article on Sir Patrick Moore.

I have been totally engrossed reading it for the last twenty minutes and learning and occasionally remembering what I did know.

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnotesmiley - musicalnote To the melody of

"Nothing like(.....)? for cooling the blood"

"Nothing like reading to remember oneself".

Well done. Now if you had not directed me to it I would never have found it. How does one find articles like that. I suppose I am too old to learn. !!

With much affection and respect for your fount of knowledge,

Christiane smiley - schooloffish
AR80/81


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more