Shovels - the Long and Short (under construction)

0 Conversations

How long is it?
That's a rather personal question, Sir.


- Monty Python's Lifeboat sketch

Sound familiar? Then you have had to ask this question at the local hardware or garden supply store because, where shovels are concerned, size really does matter - particularly the length. Consequently, it does come down to this basic and personal question.

Background

But first, let's know what we are and are not talking about, shall we. Not spades. Spades are somewhat specialized and are really more for just digging in soil. We are not talking about those. We are rather talking about a multi-purpose tool primarily intended for creating holes, removing material from holes, replacing material into holes, or just generally moving piles of things from one place to another - anything really, even food from your plate to your face. Now then, on to shovels, and shoveling too.

The Long

You take your long-handled shovel,

Feed that coal-hungry fire,

Swing that shovel, that's a fireman's trade.

You've got your long-handled shovel

Three and a half feet of sweat-polished wood,

And a narrow steel blade.

- The Ballad of John Axon

The Short

There ain't no short handled shovels,

No axes, saws, nor picks.

I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day,

Where they hung the jerk that invented work,

In the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

- The Big Rock Candy Mountain, by Harry Mclintock

The End

Some Unusual Uses

...



Disclaimer:This is a flea market rescue. If you are here because your name appears as a researcher and you are wondering why - it is because you contributed something or another to the peer review discussion. Whatever your comment was, it will likely be represented in the final product. Now, I have some important leaning to do so if you'll excuse me I'll appreciate it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A13524905

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more