A Conversation for How to Lamb a Sheep

Lambing

Post 1

zendevil

Hi - P here, zendevil's friend - just read your article about helping lambing and, believe it or not, after 22 years of sheep farming I learned a new trick. Tying the ewe's own wool over a prolaps is a great idea! I am surprised however, you mentioned prolaps happening after lambing - in my case, they always happened before. Initially, I got the vet out stitching them, but I would not recommend that now - it is nearly impossible to get the very right moment for opening the stitches during lambing. Then, another vet told me how to construct a harness from ropes; that worked in principle, but is a difficult thing to get right (especially on an impatient sheep...). So, next time I definitely try knotting the wool!
Have to say though, my incidence of prolapses dropped a lot once I started feeding less. It seems they are associated with too well fed sheep.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for How to Lamb a Sheep

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more