A Conversation for The Role of the National Front in the 2002 French Presidential Elections

Oh the irony...

Post 1

MotDoc, Temporarily Exiled to Tartu, Estonia

As a Yank, I happen to find it quite ironic that the "far right" National Front party in France holds many of the same views as the "moderate" Republican party in America. Anti-abortion, pro-death penalty, anti-homosexual, anti-immigrant: these are all positions which are taken unworriedly by President Bush the Younger yet in Europe they constitute a party so radical that the opposition got some 85% of the vote in the final round. Just goes to show you how relative politics can be.
-MotDoc smiley - martiansmile


Oh the irony...

Post 2

quizzical

It helps you understand why so many of our allies find Bush so distasteful. Ditto a fair number of Americans - remember, he did lose the popular vote to Al Gore. High time to get rid of the electoral college.


Oh the irony...

Post 3

MotDoc, Temporarily Exiled to Tartu, Estonia

Electoral college has nothing to do with it. He would have lost there too if his brother wasn't governor of the state with the really close vote. Wait...did I say that out loud?


Oh the irony...

Post 4

quizzical

I was thinking it - I just didn't say it. smiley - winkeye And now he behaves as if he'd been elected in a landslide...


Oh the irony...

Post 5

MotDoc, Temporarily Exiled to Tartu, Estonia

Well he's not that good at math...maybe he thinks 49% is a landslide.
smiley - martiansmile


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Role of the National Front in the 2002 French Presidential Elections

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more