A Conversation for Lions

Europe

Post 1

Arnie Appleaide - Inspector General of the Defenders of Freedom

were lions ever native to Europe?


Europe

Post 2

Tom tamer of the lion

I think so, if you go back far enough in time then you would find some desedent not to far off a morden day lion.


Europe

Post 3

Arnie Appleaide - Inspector General of the Defenders of Freedom

But that's an evolutionary time frame - so they weren't native during human/modern history, e.g. in the last several thousand years?


Europe

Post 4

Tom tamer of the lion

no I dont think so. Dont quote me on this but a fair way back there was no europe or Africa as we know it, they were one big content, any way because of varation in the species and the contents shifting it all led up to the big cats living in Africa and the smaller cats living in europe. But as far as I know there no nativve big cats in england in the last 1000 years, there are some big cats (famous case of on dartmore) but these are were probley brought in by saliors.

tom


Europe

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, there used to be lions in Europe and North Africa in Roman times, but they were all killed off by the Romans for sport.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more