Jiu jitsu

0 Conversations

Jiu jitsu is a martial art with its origins in techniques developed by bushi warriors (samurai) in medieval Japan. Known to purists as jujutsu, there are a number of different spellings and even names, including yawara and sometimes simply “jitsu”.

Over the centuries, the art has developed to include techniques to grapple opponents to the ground and restrain them using a variety of locking, strangling or choking techniques. Atemi (strikes to vital areas) are also used, and some styles also focus on pressure points.

A jiujitsuka(1) learns techniques to defend against armed and unarmed opponents. The focus is on techniques in which the practitioner does not use weapons; there are also a number of techniques in which minor weapons such as coshes are used defensively. Centuries ago, the main weapons to worry about would be the swords and knives. In modern times, these same techniques can be used to defend against baseball bats and even, at close quarters, handguns. In the modern jiu jitsu dojo, students may learn to defend against punches, kicks, knives, bottles, broken bottles and coshes right from the word go.

(1) practitioner of jiu jitsu

Note 15/9/03 ...yep, this is a work in progress, still at the beginning. Hopefully I'll finish it by October. If you're crying out for info on jiu jitsu in the meantime, check out www.planetjitsu.com

--MardiGra :)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1283690

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more