A Conversation for Dmitri Dmitryevich Shostakovich - Soviet Composer

Shostakovich studied at the Leningrad Conservatory (1919–25

Post 1

flyingtwinkle

The early success of his First Symphony (1925) was confirmed by positive public reaction to two satirical works of 1930—an opera, The Nose (Leningrad; from a tale by Gogol), and a ballet, The Golden Age. Shostakovich sought Soviet approval and survived the changing tides of opinion


Shostakovich studied at the Leningrad Conservatory (1919–25

Post 2

Mikeo the gregarious

I agree about The Nose and The Golden Age - they were both successful in terms of public appreciation, but certainly The Nose was attacked by some organisations and individuals (who were supported by the Soviet regime) ... I think it was described as an 'anti-opera'. The Golden Age wasn't performed for many years after its initial run - I think it was first revived in 1982.

I'm not sure about Shostakovich seeking Soviet approval all the time ... he would have done to get his large-scale pieces performed in public, but his chamber works were sometimes performed in private (e.g. 'From Jewish Folk Poetry', 'Rayok') and might not have been suitable for the Soviet authorities ('Rayok' certainly would not!smiley - smiley). But I think he tried to conform (or at least, seem to conform) to the authorities' wishes to maintain his career throughout the decades when he was a composer.


Key: Complain about this post

Shostakovich studied at the Leningrad Conservatory (1919–25

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more