The Rocky Mountain Tunnel, Beechworth, Victoria, Australia Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Rocky Mountain Tunnel, Beechworth, Victoria, Australia

0 Conversations

During the 1850s and 1860s Beechworth, Victoria, Australia was an important centre for gold-mining. Countless mines and remnants of the era litter the township and surrounding area, and the town now thrives on the tourist trade. Many of the mines can be visited, but one old mining tunnel is hidden away behind some willow trees on a quiet side of the town. Not many people know of the existence of the Rocky Mountain Tunnel and while it is apparently locked up, the brave adventurer can investigate further.

Why?

The Rocky Mountain Extended Mining Company mined for gold in the Lake Sambell area from 1856 during the heady days of the Australian Gold Rush. Beechworth itself was a contender for the Australian capital city at one stage during the 1860s, due in most part to its wealth from the gold running through its veins. Lake Sambell itself was in fact an open-cut gold mine before being converted into the man-made lake it is presently. The Rocky Mountain Tunnel - named in honour of the company that built it, not the fact that it was dug into a rocky mountain side or gained credence from the mountains of the same name in America - was cut into the granite under the township of Beechworth itself and running for about 800 metres, it took two and a half years to complete at a cost of £13,500. Initially constructed to carry sludge from the open-cut mining site to Reedy Creek in the Gorge, it proved to be a rich source of gold itself with some 6,500 ounces (184 kilograms) recovered from sluice boxes between 1869 and 1876. This can be compared to other contemporary gold mines yielding between 3,000 - 5,000 ounces (85 - 142 kilograms). In the late 1800s one ounce of gold was worth the equivalent of a week's wages!

Where?

The entrance to the Rocky Mountain Tunnel is located about 400 metres away from the Newtown Bridge that crosses the Gorge. It can be reached by walking down Church Street from the main road Ford Street, then turning left into Priory Road. Walk to the end of Priory Road until you have views of the Gorge and make your way down a gentle slope towards the Gorge. From here the going gets tougher as there are blackberry bushes and other obstacles to negotiate (such as snakes or various nefarious Australian 'critters'), but make your way to the left towards Newtown Bridge and you will soon find your feet getting wet. The small marsh you are most likely standing in by now will be the run off from the Tunnel when it rains. Willow trees mask the entrance and the water has pooled in front. Wade through this and you will have found the opening to the Rocky Mountain Tunnel.

Equipment

Entering the Rocky Mountain Tunnel is inadvisable unless you have experience of 'spelunking', or caving. If, however, you wish to continue into the Tunnel and walk along it to its conclusion under Beechworth, the following equipment is advisable:

  • Torch - It's a tunnel under the ground, so it's dark. A waterproof torch of reasonable wattage is essential for navigation - and to see where you're going.
  • Wellingtons - Wellington Boots, or any other waterproof garments like anglers' 'waders', are key to staying dry. You have to wade through a pond to get to the Tunnel and once inside there is a constant flow of water - often up to a foot in depth, as the Tunnel culminates in a spillway.
  • Old Clothes - It can be pretty mucky and muddy in the Tunnel, so it's best you wear some old clothes and not an evening gown or suit.
  • Hard Hat - This is not in case of fall-ins, but the Tunnel can become quite low in places and bumping your head on the granite roof can be painful. So a helmet of some sort is worthwhile, even better if you can get a true miner's hat or caving helmet with a torch attached to free both hands up in case of stumbles or falls.

Of course, as with any exploring, you must tell someone where and when you are going (giving directions to the location), when you are due to return, how many of you are going and who to contact in case of an emergency.

Into the Tunnel

The entrance to the Rocky Mountain Tunnel is covered by a large rusty gate, and hooked onto the gate is a padlock. This is key to going any further. The padlock can be quite simply moved so access to the Tunnel can be gained! It is felt that the deep stagnant pool of water, the dark recesses and small opening are enough to deter visitors/vandals - and in most cases they are.

A Quick Tour

You have to crouch down to enter the Tunnel at first but once the initial couple of feet has been traversed you can stand, as most of the way along there is a clearance of about 6 feet (2 metres). Once inside the Tunnel there is much to see. Yes, believe it or not! Along the floor remnants of wooden planks and rails for mining carts can be found. About 200 metres into the Tunnel an actual mining cart remains, rusted in place! Looking about the walls of the Tunnel, rich veins of quartz are obvious, and the eagle-eyed will spot iron pyrites or Fool's Gold glistening on the damp walls. The keen geologist may even find specks of gold if they're lucky! The damp conditions also make it perfect for various lichens and moss to grow and there is also a wide range of insect life to seek out.

The Tunnel travels under Beechworth and, following the route above-ground, it runs parallel to Ford Street, passes under the main intersection of Ford and Camp Streets and then continues along Camp Street to Albert Road, ending near the Chinese Gardens at a spillway (you can also visit this part of the Tunnel above-ground; there are some remains of its beginnings hidden away off Albert Road). When you are in the Tunnel, stopping at various points you can hear the noises of traffic overhead. Walking along the Tunnel from start to finish takes about 15 to 20 minutes and the best time of year to do it is in the December to February period of summer when it is driest.

Out of the Tunnel

You cannot leave the Tunnel from the spillway end as there is a large grate covering the access point. So you can only exit the Tunnel by returning the way you came. It is also important to leave the Rocky Mountain Tunnel the way you found it. Don't take anything from it, and don't leave anything there. And make sure the padlock is put back when you leave! That way it's not spoilt for the next intrepid explorers.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A12644705

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more