Software Engineering

1 Conversation

Software Engineering should not be confused with computer programming.Computer Programming is an art. To be a computer programmer, all you have to do is to be able to sit at a computer terminal and, with no more than a rough idea about what you are trying to achieve, start typing code. Usually in C. The result of this process is a bug-ridden piece of software that bears little resemblance to the customers' requirements and is held together with numerous patches and upgrades.Software Engineering is a science. To be a Software Engineer, you have to have years of training, be up to date with the latest analysis and design techniques and be able to express ideas in writing and pictorially using state of the art Computer Aided Software Engineering tools. Once a product has been thoroughly analysed and a design has been produced, it is reviewed by other Software Engineers, reworked, documented and quality assured. Only then can a team of engineers start working on the coding process. Each piece of code is also documented and reviewed before being integrated into the final product. This is then tested with reference to the customer's original specifications before being delivered.

The result of this process is a bug-ridden piece of software that bears little resemblance to the customers' requirements and is held together with numerous patches and upgrades. Only you don't get paid
as much.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A124705

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more