A Conversation for Old Wives' Tales

If you sit too close to the television...

Post 1

DelphicOracle

My granny was a fount of unsound so-called facts if there ever was one. When I was a nipper in the 70s, she was forever warning me "Don't sit too close to the television, or you'll go up in a blue light!"

If only I had known then what I know now. Has anyone ever, so far as society knows, ever "gone up in a blue light"? Answer: I don't think so, granny. And what the flip does it mean, anyhow? Is it a synomym for "explode, giving off a light which is blue"? Or is the meaning closer to "a blue light comes down from the sky and takes you up with it" - a theory possibly presaging the UFO mania of the late 90s. Or alternatively, was it intended to be a metaphorical blue light, symbolising the influence of the Tory-controlled media on a young, impressionable brain?

An area which requires research, mayhap...


Key: Complain about this post

If you sit too close to the television...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more