A Conversation for Old Wives' Tales

A-----choo!

Post 1

Mish Prefect

Has anyone ever tried to see if they can sneeze with their eyes open?
It is an exceptionally hard thing to do indeed.


A-----choo!

Post 2

Woodcock

Correct, it is hard, and I think this lends a nugget of truth to the premise of the theory.

When you sneeze, you create enormous pressure within the cavities of your head, which could theoretically pop your eyes out, and the body has eveolved a mechanism whereby it tries to prevent this happening.

Try holding your nose and blowing with your mouth shut (as if to pop your ears. If you blow hard enough, you will feel pressure around the tear ducts of your eyes, proving that the cavities are connected.

Finally, have you ever seen those daft people on TV who can pop their eyes out so they look strange and bulging? They sneezed without closing their eyes....


A-----choo!

Post 3

Evilist

When i close my nose and ears and mouth, air comes out my eyes. When you sneeze, the air comes out your head at about 300mph, and your head flies back. I am pretty sure your eyes would pop out, if it were not for those peep hole protectors that snap shut. I dont think i could cope if every time i sneezed my eyes popped out. Hou would you put it back in? I mean, an eye ball dangeling from your face by an optic nerve? Mmmm, one of my favourite sights, you can be sure!!


A-----choo!

Post 4

Woodcock

Yeah, and if your eyes are dangling down your cheeks, how would you be able to see properly to put them back in in the first place? Methinks the assistance of an understanding friend would be required.

There would be one consolation though, with a little judicious and careful manipulation, you could have a good look around to see if anyone had noticed your embarassing situation without turning your head!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more