The day we got married, the lead singer of the reception band died...

0 Conversations

As omens go, it should have been a major one. Instead, my bride took over the mike and it was the beginning of a new career for us.

We quit our jobs, bought guitars and a rhythm box and went on the road, with our few belongings packed in a retired milk delivery truck.

Our first child, Bretha, was born in that truck, on the eve of our first appearance on Letterman. We had to miss Letterman as my bride needed a short stay in the hospital. Seems she had needed an episiotommy or something like that.


Our third child, Mooma, was born two weeks before the Grammys where we earned a statuette for New Artists of the Year. Which was weird because Bretha was eight and Sender was five.

One of the songs from our fourth album was covered by another band, and it went on to become a major part of a soundtrack for an animated film. The royalties from that song alone paid for a house and a couple of vehicles and put Bretha through college.

My bride died before our greatest hits album hit the stores. She had a preciously undignosed rare ailment that came from her mother's having run a pet grooming business when she was pregnant.

Bretha learned to sing her mother's songs, albeit with a different band and went on to a career as a choreographer and cinematographer and webmaster. She made her first million two years out of college.

Sender never listened to any of our music. He told his school friends we were lawyers for the mob. When he was seventeen, he moved in with his aunts, who lived in an energy cooperative in Cupertino, and never looked back. He became a luthier and a cooper to a select clientele of vintners who collected guitars. He made his first million before he was twenty.

Mooma married a movie star at the age of nineteen and started a Feng Shui real estate firm and development research facility that only hired the handicapable. She made her first million within a year and the prenup was a matter of great laughter in her household as her hubby made a movie with Mariah Carey and it tanked his career. He ended up being a supporting player on a WB teen drama. Mooma's second child, Tritina, became a child model and made her first million before she was eight.

I remarried to a woman years younger than I who was tone deaf and really had no idea who I was outside of the guy who owned the local pet store. We had no children, but our pets were enough. I put away my guitars and sold our catalogue to Bretha.

Last week I found out I was adopted. The wedding singer who died was my biological father. I haven't met my biological mother yet.


It turns out my parents were originally moles for the Russians who were supposed to wait for some event that never happened and they adopted me and my sisters for cover. What was supposed to happen to us kids if the event ever happened, I still haven't learned. They are in jail awaiting an immigration service hearing. Apparently my father's thirty years of work as a lay minister with the African Methodist Episcopal church counts for something. And my mother's efforts with the Esperanto HeadStart movement...


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A11661068

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more