Gizmogrifying posting Tags

0 Conversations

Use of tags in postings

Your ACE will have shown you the smileys, as wel as some other obvious pages. To use these tags in your own postings you just have to write the right codes.

The parser reads your postings and tries to find the tags. If a resolveable link has been found it will be replaced with a html link in the page as your browser receives it.

Resolveable links mostly use 'less then' and 'greater then' brackets ( '<' and '>' ). The exceptions are for entries, personal spaces, help pages... and plain URLs.

These are easy to find and to use in your postings.

Email links are formulated more complex using mailto:[email protected] and will not work correctly. Another branch with some problems seems to be the named entries such as smileys. Also pointing to someones posts is not realy obvious.

The parser uses two activating tags for these links:
< . / > U 2 2 2 2 3 6 < / . > leaving out the spaces will lead you to the personal space of the researcher who taught us how to train Cheese.

This shows up as <./>U222236</.>, hmm not anyway impressive how about this one:
<./>U222236#gent</.> or <./>MA222236&show=100&skip=0?type=2</.>

Or even <./>A1012654#Cheese</.> however this last one only works for entries with coded sub anchors. The writer of the page should have written a line containing <A NAME="Cheese"/>. If this anchor not exists the link will not work, <./>A1079822#Bleu</.> does however.

Obvious the human reader will interpretate the link correctly. And while that is what it is all about you are free to use <computer> <pencil> <doorbell> or whatever non existing link you like. The parser can not create the actual links, the human reader does.

It is concidered polite not to force surfers to another skin so if you try to create a full URL use <./>http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1163404</.>. For external links one could note they are going external for example with the note <earth>
<./>http://www.communicationdesign.com.au/albatross</.>.
Do not tell me that this is obvious the following <./>http://www.savethealbatross.org</.> links to H2G2.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1163404

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more