A Conversation for Loggerhead Sea Turtles

Loggerheads on the beach

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence


When I lived in Florida I would try to spend a weekend at Sebastian Inlet when the moon wasn't quite full.

At about 11, I would slather on insect repellent, grab a cushion, go down to the beach and sit quietly, waiting for the turtles. After an indeterminate period of watching the breakers, it was hard to tell at first whether that dark lump had been there a moment before, but if you remained very very quiet and still, she would make up her mind and start heaving herself forward.

These creatures are ~not~ meant to travel on land!

It's hard to describe my feelings about these turtles; when you watch them arrive in the surf almost as if by magic, it's as if time falls away and you could be anywhere in the past x thousand years watching exactly this same thing happening in exactly the same way.

Lil


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Loggerhead Sea Turtles

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more