A Conversation for Gibraltar Airport

gibraltar?

Post 1

Quentin Lacerda

Hmm...I really love gibraltar..all those little monkeys are so cozy. But the airport is an architectural nightmare, I'll grant you that. Leave the car outside and walk in. Hey; how big can the place be? 2 square kilometers?


gibraltar?

Post 2

Dazman (Yes I know...)

I lived in Gibraltar for six years in my teens. It was a great experience, but I'm not sure I would go back to live there as an adult. It's a little small for my taste.

About the airport...you forgot mention the traffic lights at the road crossing. There you are, driving along and suddenly the lights go red, the barrier goes down and you dutifully come to a halt. Instead of a train coming past, a 737 lands in full view not 100 yards away.

Gibraltar and its people are certainly unique. Gibraltar is a British colony and is likely to stay that way for some time by the choice of ordinary Gibraltarians. Britain signed a treaty with Spain hundreds of years ago which promised that if sovereignty passed from the British, it would pass only to Spain. Despite this, Gibraltar proposed becoming the first European Union sovereign colony--a concept ahead of its time. This proposal was blocked by the Spanish.

The problems passing through the border with Spain are purely created by Spain, and have been exacerbated because of territorial water disputes recently. Nevertheless, Gibraltarians travel to and spend their spare time in Spain quite regularly and have good relationships with Spaniards on a personal level. Also, many extended families include both nationalities.

One of the most striking things about Gibraltar is how many different nationalities, ethnic groups and religions live together in such a small place, in close harmony. It is quite common for a group of regular friends to include Roman Catholics, Jews and Hindus. There is also a large Arab population. Such matters do not cause any division and there's a lot of mutual respect.

I do recommend a visit to Gibraltar for a week or two. The Rock itself, the views of the bay and the historical attractions make it a great short trip! It certainly is a unique place. As I say, I find it too small myself, and the weather is too humid, so I would not live there...but you can make up your own mind.

Regards!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more